Google's augmented reality game Ingress invades iOS
Android smartphone devotees have been playing a pretty cool augmented reality game since it launched in late 2013. It's called Ingress, and it's a funky real-world adaptation of the "hack the planet" game mechanic that seems to come back into style every few years -- the latest example of this being the recently released Watch Dogs. Now, Ingress is infecting iOS devices as well, which opens the game up to a massive number of new players.
Ingress makes you pick between two large factions, both of which are vying for control of a strange and powerful new energy source. Your real-world neighborhood is the battleground, and you need to secure and capture territory to help your faction succeed.
Living in a small midwestern town here in the U.S., the number of Ingress players around me seems to be rather slim, but if you're based in a larger population center, there's a good chance you're sitting in the middle of a hotly contested war zone without even knowing it. Ingress is free, and it's available right now.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options