JUNOJUMPR: Jumpstart your iPhone and your car
No, I am not making up that headline. JUNOJUMPR (US$99.99) is an external battery pack that not only gives your iPhone or iPad a boost when needed, but it can also be used with an included set of jumper cables to jumpstart a car. Talk about a multi-tasker!
- Dimensions: 5.47 x 2.95 x .59 inches (139 x 75 x 15 mm)
- Weight: 7 ounces (198.4 grams)
- Capacity: 6,000 mAh
- Output: For charging devices, 5V 2.1A. For jumpstarting cars, 12V 300A
- Compatible with: most 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder vehicles
- Includes USB to micro-USB cable, 12V car DC adapter, proprietary jumper cables
- Colors: Black, Blue
Like most external battery packs, JUNOJUMPR has a micro-USB port for charging the battery and a USB port for recharging your device. It also comes with the almost ubiquitous LED flashlight, which could be very helpful if you need to jumpstart your car at night. There are three special ports on the JUNOJUMPR; two for plugging in the jumper cables, and one for plugging in a car charger if you want to top off the JUNOJUMPR's battery while you're driving.
The review device came in a nice two-tone blue and white plastic case. One end has all of the ports, and there's a small pushbutton on one side to turn on the device or the flashlight. A battery level indicator shaped like the four quadrants of a circle is on top of the device and lights up the appropriate number of bright blue LEDs to tell you how much battery life you have left.
Videos speak louder than words:
I did not try jumpstarting my own car with this unit, but I think that the JUNOJUMPR is definitely a good idea. I have a spare battery/jumpstarting unit that I put in my car whenever I go on long road trips, and it not only takes up a lot of space, but also weighs about 18 pounds. JUNOJUMPR easily fits in a glove compartment of a car, and the fact that it can be recharged while driving is also a plus.
Some might balk at the $100 price tag, but think of it this way -- you'd probably spend at least $35 for a cheap iPhone/iPad-only battery pack, anywhere from $10 to $50 for a set of booster cables for your car, or $75 annually for an auto club membership to have someone else start your car.
Finally, an external battery pack that can be used not only for charging your devices, but also to help you out in those rare but exceedingly annoying instances where you need to jumpstart your car. In terms of design, size, and capability, the JUNOJUMPR definitely gets a thumbs-up from me.
Rating: 4 stars out of 4 stars possible
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature