MyLock creates attractive lock screens for your iOS device
There are many apps that let you create a custom lock screen, and occasionally I like to see what's new in the category.
One notable app is MyLock (free with an-app purchases). It provides photos and graphics for your use, or you can use anything on your camera roll. There are also themes, which are overlays that can further customize your image.
There are a variety of texts styles, and most are quite stylish. The themes and images are regularly updated.
The app is a bit quirky. To save my image to the camera roll I have to shake the phone, which seems rather pointless. There are irritating, animated ads, some of which take over the whole screen. That's simply a no-no in my book. Apps are welcome to have ads, but they needn't be intrusive or obnoxious.
Still, the app can create really interesting lock screens, so I have put up with some of its more bizarre 'features'. The graphics are generally of good visual taste, not the junk that often passes for design. The in-app purchase option is simply unnecessary. There are plenty of nice options built-in, plus your own endless supply of personal photos.
MyLock requires iOS 7 or later. It's not a universal app, so it's best for the iPhone and iPod touch.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync