MyLock creates attractive lock screens for your iOS device
There are many apps that let you create a custom lock screen, and occasionally I like to see what's new in the category.
One notable app is MyLock (free with an-app purchases). It provides photos and graphics for your use, or you can use anything on your camera roll. There are also themes, which are overlays that can further customize your image.
There are a variety of texts styles, and most are quite stylish. The themes and images are regularly updated.
The app is a bit quirky. To save my image to the camera roll I have to shake the phone, which seems rather pointless. There are irritating, animated ads, some of which take over the whole screen. That's simply a no-no in my book. Apps are welcome to have ads, but they needn't be intrusive or obnoxious.
Still, the app can create really interesting lock screens, so I have put up with some of its more bizarre 'features'. The graphics are generally of good visual taste, not the junk that often passes for design. The in-app purchase option is simply unnecessary. There are plenty of nice options built-in, plus your own endless supply of personal photos.
MyLock requires iOS 7 or later. It's not a universal app, so it's best for the iPhone and iPod touch.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)