Today in the App Store -- the best free apps, new apps and app updates
Here are some of the best free apps, app updates and new apps that have landed in the App Store recently. All app prices are USD and subject to change. Some deals may expire quickly, so grab them while you can.
Apps Now Free
Wake Alarm Clock [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $2.99] Meet Wake, the most beautiful and intuitive alarm for iPhone & iPad.
Paper Camera [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $0.99] Real time cartoon and painting effects painted on your camera video feed.
Dapp the App Creator [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $9.99] Get your own iPhone app out the door tomorrow, and not next year!
Inspire Pro [iOS Universal; Now free, down from $9.99] Available only on the App Store, Inspire Pro delivers an amazing painting, drawing and sketching experience to your iPad.
Dayflow [iPhone; Now free, down from $2.99] Create duration based goals for every activity
New and Notable Apps
Overcast: Podcast Player [iPhone; Free] A powerful yet simple podcast player, with features such as Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and Smarter Playlists.
Letter Hero – Heroic Word Building [iPhone; Free] Download LetterHero today (it's F-R-E-E), and find out if your word-building skills are truly epic!
Hook'd - Video Music Messaging [iPhone; Free] Hook'd is a social music app that turns the camera on your voice.
Updates you don't want to miss
MapHook [iPhone; Free] MapHook is a location-based journal and social networking application that provides an organized way to keep track of important things. Version 3.0.1 brings the following changes:
- New "Liquid Social Discovery" user interface, including a fresh, intuitive and fluid design for presentation of both core map features and innovative social features that put the power of multiple information sources seamlessly on the display.
- Now provide the latest trends from Foursquare, Twitter and Yahoo.
- Integration with MapHook's "CultureHook" project. Interesting content imported and displayed in the app from open data sources.
- Faster engine for smoother app navigation.
- New "HookStream" dashboard featuring real-time streams of "hooks" for faster/easier viewing of information.
- Ability to share trends and user hooks from the "HookStream" dashboard over a user's social network and by email.
- Ability to "like" hooks.
- New offline mode - create Hooks while offline
- New search capabilities including advance filtering, and on-map and on-list quick search
Boxer For Gmail, Outlook, Exchange, Yahoo, Hotmail, IMAP, AOL, and iCloud Email [iOS Universal; $9.99] Boxer is the fastest, most innovative email app available for iPhone! Version 4.6 brings the following changes:
- HTML Signatures
- Push Notifications for Outlook.com
- Create New Folders
- Archive as Read
- Delete From Trash/Empty Trash
- Badge Count Improvements
UP by Jawbone [iPhone; Free] UP. A smarter fitness tracker. Manage your weight, move more and sleep better. Version 3.2 brings the following changes:
- Weight management: Set goals for weight and calorie intake. Track your progress with easy tools for logging food, weight and calorie balance.
- Redesigned food experience: Streamlined logging process with new tools like a dedicated water logger, restaurant menus, common pairings and frequent meals.
- Food score: An easy metric that indicates the healthiness of a dish with one simple number.
SCRIBD [iOS Universal; Free] Scribd is the world's largest digital library with over 80 million users. Version 3.6.0 brings the following changes:
- A redesigned book description page that includes reader reviews and related books
- Horizontal browsing from book to book in collections
- Streamlined management of your Library -- tap the new "+" sign on books to save them to your device, add them to your library, or add them to a collection.
- A brand new color palette and all-new fonts throughout the app
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)