Inateck MacBook Protect felt sleeves are classy, inexpensive
If you're looking for protection for a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, but don't want to spend a lot of money, you usually end up with some generic-looking bag from OfficeMaxStaplesDepot. Wouldn't it be nice to get protection that's classy-looking, yet inexpensive? That's what you'll get with the Inateck MacBook Protect series of felt sleeves. They're made for everything from the 15-inch MacBook Pro down to the 11-inch MacBook Air, and they look great.
Price-wise, the 13-inch MP1300, MP1301 and MP1302 have a suggested retail price of US$36.99, but are available on Amazon.com for $16.99, one of the best bargains I've seen for a MacBook sleeve ever. The 15-inch models MP1500 and MP1502 are not currently available, but will be soon.
As many TUAW readers know, I have a thing for natural materials being used in Apple accessories. That's what makes the Inateck sleeves so fascinating to me. The felt material is soft, has a good grip to it, and is expertly sewed together. The back of the sleeve has two pockets that would be perfect for an iPhone or maybe a small notebook.
Under the flap that secures the sleeve with a Velcro closure you'll find an almost-full-width pocket for an iPad, as well as the MacBook pocket. The latter is lined with silky-smooth microfiber.
So your MacBook power supply doesn't scratch your laptop, Inateck also throws in a small bag that closes with an elastic band. It's big enough to hold the power adapter or other accessories, and the band keeps everything in place.
I was very favorably impressed with the Inateck MacBook Protect sleeves. I keep the outside of my 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display pristine with a Speck shell, and the Inateck sleeve had enough room so that I could still slide it in.
One thing you'll find is that when the MacBook is inserted into the sleeve, the external pockets don't have a lot of room. One concern I had with the "iPhone pocket" on the outside is that while an iPhone 5s fits perfectly into the slot, there's no way to secure it into the pocket -- a small Velcro flap would be handy to keep the iPhone from wandering.
Whether you choose to use just the sleeve to carry your MacBook in or use it to protect your MacBook from damage when it is thrown into another bag or backpack, it will be cushioned in comfort.
For back-to-school with a MacBook, the Inateck MacBook Protect sleeves are a bargain and well worth buying even if they're just used to keep your laptop away from scratches in a backpack or bag.
Rating: 3-1/2 stars out of 4 stars possible
Even though you can pick up an Inateck MacBook Protect sleeve for a song, we're going to give one away to a TUAW reader. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before July 29, 2014 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected in a random drawing and will receive a Inateck MP 1300 MacBook Protect Felt Sleeve valued at $36.99
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service