Apple TV launches sports channel in Brazil
Apple TV is expanding once again, this time bringing a local television station option to customers in Brazil. Esporte Interativo Plus will feature UEFA Champions League soccer games along with other live local spots content. In a statement to the Financial Times the channel's vice-president Leonardo Lenz Cesar bragged about the expansion.
This is the first local channel of Apple TV in Brazil and the first live sports channel. High quality global journalism requires investment.
Why is Apple doing this with us? Because since this app was launched on the iPhone, it was the most profitable sports app that Apple has launched in Brazil.
Apple has been expanding its TV offerings over the last year, bringing new channels and options to customers across the globe. Previously, Apple TV only offered Brazilian customers services like YouTube and Netflix; this move is the company's first attempt to compete with local pay TV networks in the area.
As more and more people cut ties with pay television services, expansions like this one are important to Apple building Apple TV into a reasonable alternative to big cable companies. It won't be surprising to see more deals with local channels in the future as the service continues to grow and expand.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features