Felix's customizable HoldTight case: Colorful, flexible fun
Felix has some great products available for iPad and iPhone, from the FlipBook for iPad and iPad mini to the crazy fun TwoHands stand. Their latest iPhone product, the HoldTight case for iPhone 5/5s (US$29.99) is a take on the iPhone case/wallet meme that's completely different. Let's take a look!
- Weight: 1 ounce (28.35 grams)
- Materials: polycarbonate case shell, silicone bands
- Band colors available: Black, white, grey, blue, green, orange, ping, purple, red
Felix Brand describes the HoldTight as a "fashion utility" case, and that's about the best description I've seen. It's pretty much a regular polycarbonate case in either black or white, but with interchangeable back plates and silicone bands that mean owners can customize the cases a bunch of different ways.
The company whimsically named many of these band layouts from The Music Lover (two horizontal bands close together, used to hold iPhone earPods in place), to The Plaid (one white band, two grey bands, and four red bands placed in a festive pattern) and The White Out (using five white bands on a white case to hold a stylus in place)
There are a lot of different orientations into which you can place the bands, and with nine different colored bands available, you could go nuts with this thing. Of course, those color expansion packs run $14.99 each, so you could also run up a hell of a credit card bill at the same time.
The HoldTight is nothing special as a protective case -- it's basically similar to many of the polycarbonate shells that are produced by hundreds of manufacturers. But it's that back plate and the silicone bands that make the case so much fun, and so functional.
It's quite easy to customize the HoldTight -- holding the empty case in your hand, just push the back plate towards the front of the case to pop it out. Then start moving the bands around, removing some if you don't need them, adding more for fun. I came up with a few designs of my own:
The PayPal Wedgie
The Yosemite Sam
The changeable silicone bands turn a plain-Jane polycarbonate shell case into a fun and functional iPhone accessory. My only complaint is about the pricing for the expansion packs, which should sell for $3 - $4 at most. Other than that, I found this to be quite a different-looking case that can hold a lot of "stuff" on the back of your iPhone.
Rating: 3 stars out of 4 stars possible
Somebody out in TUAW-land is going to have a lot of fun playing with the Felix HoldTight case we used for this review. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before August 26, 2014 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected in a random drawing and will receive a Felix HoldTight case for iPhone 5/5s valued at $29.99
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter