Internet Movie Database for iOS adds features, takes a few away
The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) is the best resource on the web for all things movie or TV. Reviews, biographies, production details, trailers -- you name it, IMDB has it.
IMDB has launched an updated version of its app for iOS, and added some welcome new features. Looking for showtimes has been improved, TV listings are deeper, and when you search for an actor to see what episodes of a show they have been in, you now can see all of them rather than just 5.
On the other hand, the "on DVD/Blu-ray" feature of app has been scrapped because Amazon, the owner of IMDB, wasn't happy with the information provider. IMDB has also lost a previous feature to link to its web presence from the title and name page due to Apple submission guidelines.
Overall, the update is a solid one, but you'll have to find some alternatives to the features that were removed. DVD and Blu-ray Disc availability, for example, can be found on the Amazon site.
The IMDB app is universal, and requires iOS 7 or later. Happily, the update seems to work fine under iOS 8 beta, so I don't foresee any issues when iOS 8 launches next month.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync