Back to Mobile View

Skip to Content

TUAW Deals

Steven Sande

Features Editor

blog http://transientspike.com
twitter stevensande

Steve was born two weeks before the start of the Space Age, and has been a fan of technology since birth. A lifelong resident of Colorado, Steve graduated from the University of Colorado with a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering (1978) and a Masters Degree in Business Administration (1983).

He began writing for TUAW in 2008, and is now the Features Editor for the blog. One of his passions is "The Internet of Things", so you can find him controlling his house from his iPhone most of the time ... except when his battery is dead.

When he's not blogging for TUAW, he's writing books for Pearson and his personal blog, Transient Spike

Steven Sande's Latest Posts

Dark Dock, light menus -- it's possible with this Yosemite hack

A few weeks ago our very own Mel Martin pointed out that you can enable the new "dark mode" in OS X Yosemite simply by going to System Preferences > General and checking the "Use Dark Menu and Dock" box. But what if you're Mr. Fussypants, love the dark Dock, but don't exactly like the look of...

0 Comments

Continue Reading

3 fun crowdfunding campaigns, including a "Smart deodorant applicator"

I'm not doing my usual crowdfunding roundup for a few weeks, but thought I'd give you a few fun Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns to whet your appetite for being a backer. First, here's a project that I thought was a joke when I first heard about it. ClickStick is billed as "The World's First...

0 Comments

Continue Reading

Logitech updates Type+, Ultrathin keyboards for iPad Air 2, intros new standalone keyboard

Logitech quickly updated its Type+ and Ultrathin Bluetooth keyboards for the new iPad Air 2, and has also announced a new standalone keyboard for any and all iOS devices -- the US$69.99 Keys-To-Go (see image above). The Keys-To-Go uses Logitech's spill-resistant FabricSkin keyboard in a...

0 Comments

Continue Reading

Sumptus: Using natural language input to easily track expenses

The best way to stay on a budget is to keep a running log of your expenses; that (and taxation entities like the IRS) is why so many companies require their employees to keep detailed records of exactly what they spend. But many of the expense tracker apps on the market make it difficult and...

0 Comments

Continue Reading

Twelve South announces the BookArc Stand for Mac Pro

Mac Pro owners now have another choice at how to position their beautiful cylindrical powerhouse on a desktop. Twelve South today announced the BookArc Stand for Mac Pro (US$59.99), a shiny little chrome-plated rack onto which you gently place your computer on its side. What's nice about the...

0 Comments

Continue Reading

Rachio app update can lower home lawn watering usage up to 30%

Rachio, developers of the amazing Iro smart sprinkler controller, today announced an app update that can reduce residential irrigation water usage by up to 30 percent. Version 1.7 of the free Rachio app uses enhanced evapotranspiration (ET) algorithms to move even closer to calculating the...

0 Comments

Continue Reading

Another black eye for MCX -- email list for CurrentC breached

Would you trust a contactless payment solution that can't securely store the email addresses of people who have signed up to be included in the service's rollout? MCX, the company pushing the CurrentC touchless payment alternative to Apple Pay and Google Wallet, sent out the security alert...

0 Comments

Continue Reading

Apple: iOS 8 now installed on 52% of all devices

Does it seem like a lot of your iPhone or iPad toting friends have updated to iOS 8? You're right -- new information from the Apple Developer Support pages shows that iOS 8 is now installed on 52 percent of all iOS devices. Of the other 48 percent of iOS devices, 43 percent are running versions...

0 Comments

Continue Reading

Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service

Every time I get into my car and take a drive, short or long, a small dongle plugged into its onboard diagnostic port sends data - including location - to an app on my iPhone. I get a score on how efficient my driving is, and it's also simple to track all of my trips in a Google Spreadsheet...

0 Comments

Continue Reading

The sad, frustrating story of crowdfunded products that never ship

When it comes to crowdfunded projects, I have to admit that I'm very lucky. Every project that I've backed -- five in all -- has eventually shipped product. Although some of those products failed to meet my expectations from the Kickstarter or Indiegogo hype, I felt that I paid a fair price for...

0 Comments

Continue Reading

© 2014 AOL Inc. All Rights Reserved.