Apple offers up Powerbook G4 Display Repair Extension Program
On Friday, Apple announced a repair extension program for 15” Powerbook G4s affected by the “white blotchy display” problem that has been widely reported in the past. Even if you previously paid for an eligible repair, Apple will now reimburse you for the cost of the repair.
A limited number of 15-inch PowerBook G4 computers exhibit a display issue which may cause faint white spots
to appear on the screen over time. The 15-inch PowerBook G4 Repair Extension Program is a worldwide program covering
replacement of LCDs that exhibit these white spots. Your PowerBook G4 serial number must fall between one of two serial
V7334xxxxxx to V7345xxxxxx
QT331xxxxxx to QT339xxxxxx
These computers were manufactured from July 2003 through November 2003. PowerBooks with the serial numbers
listed above may be referred to as:
PowerBook G4 15-inch Aluminum (1GHz G4 or 1.25GHz G4)
PowerBook G4 Titanium (867MHz G4 or 1GHz G4)
Apple has even included a nifty
diagram showing how the white spots manifest.
This is the 2nd Powerbook-related “issue” that Apple has acted on in the past month. In mid-August, Apple recalled a bunch of 15” Aluminum PowerBook batteries, citing a possible fire hazard.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter