Apple still says ‘No Video iPod’
Stan “I like to rain on your parade” Ng, director of iPod marketing worldwide, told
The Australian that there are
no plans for a video iPod in the near future. This is a break from Apple’s ‘we don’t discuss future products with
anyone, especially not you, punk,’ stance, so I take it they are pretty serious about it.
Mr Ng said, “There is no legal way today of taking a DVD and making it viewable on a portable device. There are issues with video, and no infrastructure for acquiring that content. For a player with a 3 1/2-inch screen, you have to wonder if it would be worthwhile. You can’t watch video while you’re jogging or mountain biking.”
His Steveness has said loudly and often that he doesn’t think that anyone is interested in watching video on a tiny screen. Creative Labs, and several other gadget makers, disagree and are aggressively marketing their portable media centers.
I’m with Apple here, until they iron out the copyright issues here video on an iPod like device doesn’t make sense, not to mention the very small screens make it a drag to watch letter boxed content.
Am I wrong? Are you anxiously awaiting a video iPod?
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app