Will the next Mac mini include an iPod Dock?
Leo Bodnar, the same intrepid soul who overclocked his
Mac mini, continued his sleuthwork and has uncovered an unused FireWire bus in the Ultra ATA-100 riser card that
connects the mini’s optical drive to the motherboard. What’s up with this vestigial FireWire connector? Leo thinks the
riser was designed to feed an iPod Dock connector built in to the top cover of the mini. Whether the feature was
originally built in and then dropped, or whether this foretells the advent of an iPod Dock-enabled Mac mini (or whether
this is all pure shinola, for that matter), is unknown. But considering that
not a single iPod now ships with a Dock as a standard
accessory, it sure would be mighty convenient if the next revision of the Mac mini arrives sporting an iPod Dock.
Next, imagine hooking your video iPod (since Steve keeps adamantly poo-pooing it, it’s bound to happen) in to your Mac mini dock and sucking down the video content you’ve just downloaded from the iMovies store. How cool would that be?
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options