WWDC Rumor Roundup: Apple moving to Intel
Well boys and girls, we all know the big rumor of the day is that Apple is looking to ditch IBM and cozy up with Intel to start producing chips for Macs across the line. Let's take a look at how people across my NetNewsWire subscriptions are reacting to this:
- Jonathan Rentzsch calls dibs on Mac OS X86
- Scoble says it isn't a rumor, but a fact and offers up some interesting questions to ponder (Will Apple lock out Windows from running on their machines? Yes, yes they will)
- The Blackfriar thinks that Apple might be looking at Intel, but for reasons other than powering the next generation of Macs
- Tim Bray offers up a reason why Apple might not be thrilled with IBM, other than the sluggish processor speeds
- Tom Bridge starts quoting Ghostbusters, so you know it must be bad
- Russell Beattie thinks that there will be a Tiger Server X86 version, or Tiger Lite for x86's
- Don Yacktman thinks the whole thing is baloney
- Dave Winer does a special Morning Coffee notes: WWDC edition
- John Stanforth thinks Apple should go with AMD
- Jason Kottke wonders what chip Intel will make for Apple
- Jonas Luster is worried about Intel's DRM (it's baked into the chips! Hurrah!)
- Chris Adamson tells us all to chill (but Apple running on Intel?! We're all dooooomed!)
- Wes Felter isn't buying it, though hopes he'll be able to run Windows and OS X on the same laptop without emulation
- Applepeels has more questions than answers about the whole thing
- John Gruber still isn't buying that Apple will be switching to Intel, but thinks something big will be going down tomorrow
- Steve Kirks thinks that the Mac mini will be the first to go x86
- Om Malik says that his Steveness is the new Howard Hughes and may be switching to Intel because people didn't expect it.
- codepoetry will be posting pictures of him naked on top of his car if Apple moves to x86 chips (please, Steve, reconsider. For the love of my retinas!)
- Jason Snell thinks that Apple will be building a new device using Intel chips (and I'm with him).
- Gus Mueller thinks that VooDooPad might be just a recompile away from running on an Intel powered Mac.
- Ted Leung postulates that it is all about the laptops, baby.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration