Taco time: mod Jay's eMac
Sitting here surrounded by the guts of my eMac, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to put all these bits of metal and plastic back into the case in a different order, or replace some of them entirely. If it were a second generation machine, priority number one would be overclocking. Since my board isn't jumpered, however, that's out of the question. I'll probably end up leaving this a simple repair job. But if I don't, what should I do with it? Two things jump to mind immediately:
- See if I can dig up the pinouts on the video display, and turn it into a monitor for a Mini, possibly with external FireWire and USB ports.
- Full fledged Taco: strip it bare and replace the innards with a flat screen and a Mini. Wouldn't even be too much work: there's room in there to seat a Mini case whole without even opening it.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter