Some 5.5 gen iPods ship with Windows virus
This certainly isn't amongst the new features that Apple has touted for their latest rev of iPods. It would seem that a 'small number' of iPods shipped after Sept. 12, 2006 may be carrying a Windows virus by the name of RavMonE.exe. Apple says that less than 1% of Video iPods are infected, and they have seen less than 25 cases reported. The most interesting sentence of this note is, 'As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy against such viruses, and even more upset with ourselves for not catching it.'
Nice spin, Apple. 'Umm.. yeah, so we shipped something with a virus on it, but Windows shouldn't get viruses! Yeah, that's the ticket.'
Apple suggests scanning your iPod with an anti-virus program and restoring the iPod's software using iTunes.
iPod shuffles, nanos, and OS X are not affected and all currently shipping iPods are 100% virus free.
This certainly isn't amongst the new features that Apple has touted for their latest rev of iPods. It would seem that a 'small number' of...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Pandora Radio 5.1: Wake up to your favorite station
- Microsoft revamps Bing for iPad
- Plex updated for iOS 7
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support