'No iPod Movie Rips' says Library of Congress
According to MacWorld UK, the Copyright Office of the US Library of Congress has rejected a petition which requested that owners of iPods and other portable media players be allowed to rip the CDs and DVDs they own to their own playback devices. You'd imagine, wouldn't you, that you should be allowed to transfer material you own so long as you make sure that multiple copies would never be played simultaneously. But no. The RIAA strenuously disagrees. Apparently space-shifting and format-shifting do not count as non-infringing uses.
You can read the Electronic Freedom Foundation's reply to the ruling here.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)