TUAW Tip: Create smaller PDF files
PDFs created by OS X's built-in "Save as PDF..." option on the print menu have a tendency to bloat. OS X's PDFs are often a lot bigger than the ones you get from, say, Adobe Acrobat. (Not the "reader", the actual creation program.) Fortunately, the same PDF menu that allows you to print to PDF also allows you to create a smaller, compressed version of your material. Instead of selecting "Save as PDF...", try selecting "Compress PDF" instead. You'll produce a compact version of your PDF file.
To test, I printed TUAW's home page in both normal and compressed versions. The savings? Almost 10% smaller file size.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature