The Ghost of Macworld Past
Today, we've compiled the best videos we could find into a single post. Behold the Ghost of Macworld Past, and enjoy the nostalgia.
- Steve announces Apple's partnership with Microsoft, Bill Gates appears. Observe how hesitant Steve is to begin this segment of the keynote and the stunned crowd's reaction. Do you think it was a coincidence that Bill's appearance on the big screen was so similar to the 1984 ad? Don't bet on it.
- The introduction of the iMac. This is my favorite Macworld memory, as it's the moment that "saved" Apple. That round, plastic design became iconic, and you know the rest.
- Noah Wyle appears as Steve Jobs. Fresh from playing Steve in The Pirates of Silicon Valley, Noah took a break from the ER set to briefly play Steve on stage at the start of the scheduled keynote. Watch Steve chastise him for not opening a bottle of water before beginning to speak.
- The introduction of the iBook. Remember "iMac to go?" Oh, how I wanted one of these.
- Steve introduces Mac OS X. I didn't see the public beta of Mac OS X, so I was floored by this presentation. I bought 10.0 the day is was made available.
- Mac OS 9's funeral (WWDC 2002). So long, extension conflicts, system freezes and Platinum Sounds. We'll miss you. Kind of.
- Steve plays the 1984 ad in public for the first time. I think this is his best speech ever. The insane crowd reaction gives me goosebumps.
- The introduction of the iPod (Special media event). I clearly remember thinking, "An Mp3 player? We're supposed to be all excited over an Mp3 player?!?" What do I know?
- The introduction of the Macintosh (Shareholder's meeting). Another great moment. Watch the crowd lose their collective minds when the tiny Mac "talks." Hey Steve, nice bow tie.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync