Mac Automation: automating Microsoft Excel 2008
For this automation, you will need the following Automator actions (in the same order):
- Create New Excel Workbook
- Set Excel Workbook Properties
- Get Specified Finder Items
- Import Text Files to Excel Workbook
- Save Excel Workbooks
To run the workflow, just fill in the required information into the proper Automator actions. Specify information in the "Set Excel Workbook Properties" and "Save Excel Workbooks." In the "Import Text Files to Excel Workbook," select "Tab" under the "Delimiters" section -- this allows you to specify between columns/rows.
Next, let's look at how you need to format your text documents. When you are typing the data that you want to go in the spreadsheet, use a tab to separate the columns and a return to separate the rows. Your document should look similar to the one that I have created below. Note that I have a tab each time I want a new column and a return where I want a new row.
You can now click the "Run" button in the top-right corner of Automator. Your workflow will start working and create the new Excel workbook and import the text in the proper cells.
Saving the workflow
You can now save the workflow to your liking.
Application of this workflow
You can use this workflow to bridge the gap between someone that uses Excel and someone that doesn't. You can also use it to create Excel documents on-the-go on, say, an iPhone. Just e-mail yourself a document. You can use periods to denote new columns and line breaks to denote new rows. Reminder: if you use a different text formating for rows/columns, be sure to specify that in the "Import Text Files to Excel Workbook" action.
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Evernote introduces reminders to Mac, iOS apps
- Poser 10 and Poser Pro 2014 available, bringing new characters, physics and more
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Google announces new Hangout app to hit iOS today
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements