Psystar offers Blu-ray option for Mac clones
Macworld's Jim Dalrymple reports that Psystar, the makers of legally-contested Mac clones, are offering Blu-ray drives for its products.
Two Blu-ray burners can be added to Psystar's Open and OpenPro line of computers, a $310 6x Blu-ray burner, and a $350 6x Blu-ray burner that includes a 16x DVD±RW DL drive. It appears that both can be added to a single system.
Apple has not added Blu-ray to any of its products, and Steve Jobs called the licensing terms for the technology a "big bag of hurt," though Apple is on the board of directors of the Blu-ray Disc Association trade group. Aftermarket, external Blu-ray burners are available for Mac around $450, and internal burners for Mac Pro start around $370. External players start around $270.
Psystar is in the midst of litigation with Apple surrounding its inclusion of Mac OS X with its line of clones.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app