FileMaker announces version 10 of flagship database app
FileMaker Pro 10 introduces the Status Toolbar, which it says is similar to most browser toolbars, that takes commonly used options out of the menus and presents them as tool buttons. This is the first major improvement to FileMaker's interface in years, and the company says it's aiming to make key features more 'discoverable' to novice Filemaker users. The UI requires a minimum resolution of 1024 x 768, however, which excludes older Macs and smaller netbooks.
Also new in this version are Script Triggers, which are time-based or user-based rules that launch scripts automatically. Bento 2 integration, support for the Microsoft Excel XLSX file format, direct database creation from Excel files (you already could start a DB by dragging and dropping a spreadsheet onto the FileMaker icon, but now the feature is explicit) better ability to set tab order, and better file recovery are included, too.
FileMaker Server 10 is also available, and includes a simplified tool for record import and export, and the ability to send mail directly from FileMaker without the need for an email client. Among other improvements, FileMaker Server 10 Advanced now allows up to 999 simultaneous connections.
FileMaker Pro is available in a variety of flavors:
- FileMaker Pro 10: $299 ($179 upgrade)
- FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced: $499 ($299 upgrade)
- FileMaker Server 10: $999 ($599 upgrade)
- FileMaker Server 10 Advanced: $2,999 ($1,799 upgrade)
All versions are available now. You can visit FileMaker this week at Macworld at the FileMaker Booth (#1225) and FileMaker Pavilion (#1125). We'll be diving into the new FileMaker features with a more detailed review soon, but this new version looks like it has plenty to please users both old and new.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update