OS 10.6: PowerPC officially left behind
But, the emerging reality showed that Apple has left its PowerPC days behind. In February, we reported on how GarageBand's new Learn to Play feature was Intel-only. In addition to that, not every feature in iPhoto was available to PowerPC users. During that same month, we reported that even more G4 systems were being added to Apple's vintage and obsolete lists.
Now the writing is fully on the wall for PowerPC users. The official release of tech specs for Snow Leopard indicates that it is an Intel-only release, meaning that if you do want to go past Leopard, you'll have to upgrade. There are still a lot of PowerPC users out there, and they're still very good machines... but are owners of older Macs going to be satisfied without the latest OS?
Answer our poll or let us know in the comments: what does Snow Leopard mean to PPC owners?
|I plan to buy an Intel Mac||2359 (41.8%)|
|I'm going to stick with Leopard||1754 (31.1%)|
|I'm going to stick with Tiger||509 (9.0%)|
|I'm going to stick with Panther/older OS||116 (2.1%)|
|Switch to Windows||562 (10.0%)|
|Switch to Linux||348 (6.2%)|
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync