First Look and giveaway: iShotgun Pro
iShotgun Pro [US$1.99, App Store] is a fun little shooting game from developer Yossi Malki in which you use a pump-action shotgun like my trusty Remington Model 870 to shoot clay targets. You go through 15 timed rounds shooting at single and multiple clay targets or falling bullseyes and bombs. There are three different levels of play so you can build your skills.
Just like in real clay pigeon shooting, you can yell "Pull!" to have the targets launched. There are also ways to launch the clays automatically or by tapping a button on the screen. You get different point levels for hitting various colors of clays, and try to avoid the black targets which reduce your point total. In the rounds where bullseyes and bombs are dropping, you need to avoid hitting the bombs. To aim, you can either use the iPhone's accelerometer or just tap where you want to shoot.
Of course, you'll occasionally need to reload and that's where this app lacks authenticity. With a real pump-action shotgun, you need to slide the pump between each shot to discharge the old cartridge and load the new. iShotgun Pro lets you get in eight full shots before "pumping" by shaking the iPhone up and down like Schwarzenegger in Terminator 2. This does speed up the game, but it's not authentic. Another mistake is the use of the term "bullets", where in reality they are called "shells" or "cartridges."
Despite the little discrepancies, iShotgun pro is a fun game that is great for building hand/eye coordination and learning how to discriminate between targets in the blink of an eye. There's also a "lite" version available for free here.
Speaking of free apps, how would you like to win a copy of iShotgun pro? We're giving away four copies to lucky TUAW readers. Just leave a comment telling us about your favorite shoot 'em up scene in a movie, hopefully one involving a shotgun, and you're entered.
Here are the rules and a link to the legal statement:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 18 and older.
- To enter leave a comment describing your favorite movie shoot 'em up scene
- The comment must be left before Saturday, July 10, 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Four winners will be selected in a random drawing.
- Prize: Promo code for one copy of iShotgun Pro (US$1.99 value)
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free