Found Footage: Dalek controlled by iPhone accelerometer
Self-respecting science fiction fans will remember the Daleks. They're the mutant alien villains from the Doctor Who television series with armored casing, warbling voices and a penchant for extermination.
Steve at BotBuilder is a fellow fan who combined his love of sci-fi and bots into the iPhone-controlled Dalek you see above. In what he calls "a cool and ultimately pointless experiment," Steve uses the iPhone to send messages to the board in the Dalek over Wi-Fi which, in turn, operate servos and lights up LEDs. The cool part is that he can move the bot about using the iPhone's accelerometer.
This isn't the first iPhone-powered remote control device we've seen of course (The Parrot AR.Drone was clearly our favorite), but it delights us as Dr. Who fans. Well done, Steve!
[Via Cult Of Mac]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs