Valve calls for Steam for Mac beta testers
Several readers tipped us off yesterday that Valve has put the call out to Mac beta testers. To be considered for the Steam for Mac beta you simply need to go to the Mac beta page and log in using your Steam account user name and password. If you don't have one, you can quickly register. Once logged in, you'll be shown a questionnaire form detailing what kind and how many Macs you own, if you own a PC or gaming console, and how many games you've purchased in the last twelve months. After that, you'll need to upload a text file of your System Profile information so they can get a complete idea of your Mac setup.
"We are going to conduct a closed beta for testing of the Mac client and Mac versions of Valve games," Valve wrote on its website. "Participants will be selected to provide broad coverage of testing criteria. Please be honest in your answers as we need to test all types of users, systems, and software configurations."
Valve first teased about Mac games coming to Steam in a series of Apple ad-inspired images at the beginning of March with the official announcement just days later. Steam for Mac is a huge win for the Apple platform as gaming on the Mac has always been seen as one of the Mac's weakest links. Steam for Mac will be released in April.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter