External HD support hacked on the iPad
Here's an awesome trick for adding external HDD storage to an iPad. By "awesome" we mean complicated, round-about, wire-friendly and ultimately impractical (are you going to sit at Starbucks with this rig?), but hey...why do people climb Mt. Everest? Because it's there!
After reading our own Erica's post on enjoying Apple's deceptively versatile iPad Camera Connection Kit, Maxwell C. Shay found a way to get his jailbroken iPad to recognize an external drive with it. Maxwell explains the process in great detail here, but basically he used his MacBook to tunnel through via SSH and trick the iPad into mounting the drive connected with the kit and a split-USB cable.
This set up won't win any prizes for looks, but as for ingenuity it gets an A+. Well done.
Here's an awesome trick for adding external HDD storage to an iPad. By "awesome" we mean complicated, round-about, wire-friendly and...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs