New iPod nano dumps scroll wheel and video for square screen
It's hip to be square. Announced today, the newly introduced iPod nano finally dispenses with the wheel as a control surface -- because now the control surface is the iPod touch. The new model is so small that like the newly announced iPod shuffle, it has a clip that allows it to be worn and has a 24-hour battery life.
What isn't there: the video camera that was included in the last release of the nano a year ago.
Other features include:
- FM radio
- Nike+ and pedometer
It comes in six colors, two more than the shuffle. It will cost $149 for 8GB and $179 for 16GB.
The new nano can be preordered today, and will be released next week.
Edit: The just-released tech specs show that not only is the camera gone, so is video playback entirely.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration