Confirmed: Game Center for 2nd gen iPod touch, not iPhone 3G
Good news for 2nd generation iPod touch users! As reported by AppleInsider and MacDailyNews, the 2nd generation iPod touch will be compatible with Game Center, Apple's new gaming and social networking application, but the iPhone 3G will not. Other compatible iOS devices are the 3rd and 4th generation iPod touch as well as the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.
AppleInsider notes that the 2nd generation iPod touch, which has similar hardware specs to the iPhone 3G (in terms of game playability), had previously not been compatible with Game Center, in an iOS 4.1 beta build. However, in a turn of events, the 2nd generation iPod touch is now compatible, according to Apple's official Game Center website.
Though both the iPhone 3G and the 2nd generation iPod touch were released in 2008, the 2nd generation iPod touch has a slightly faster processor, clocking in at 532MHz over the iPhone 3G's 412MHz.
With the iPhone 3G suffering under the weight of an already slimmed down version of iOS 4, it's no surprise to see that the 3G won't be compatible with Game Center. Game Center will be available, for compatible iOS devices, with iOS 4.1
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options