Dear Aunt TUAW: location voodoo
I've recently become the proud owner of a 3rd generation iPod touch. I found the Nike+ app that uses some strange GPS/wifi-triangulation scheme to locate me and how far I run/walk.
How does the iPod touch do this? Is it magnets? Smoke? Mirrors? Is this a reliable location-reckoning system? There are a lot of rumors abounding on the Interwebs, and I know you'll get to the bottom of it, Auntie.
Love & tickles,
Your nephew Marc H.
It's not smoke or even mirrors. Instead, your GPS-free iPod touch really does use another way to figure out how far you have run and your position. The optional Nike+ sensor that fits in your shoe is basically a piezoelectric accelerometer that works by transducing pressure to an electrical signal so that your iPod can detect the steps you take. In addition, your iPod uses its built-in Wi-Fi technology to provide rough geopositioning.
Apple works with a company called
It's a really clever system that's pretty robust. Admittedly, if someone moves from Kansas to Texas and brings their router with them, the system may get confused for a little while but for the most part, bad positioning tends to get fixed pretty quickly.
If you'd like to learn more about iPhone and iPod positioning, you might want to check out this TUAW post from 2008.
Update: Readers point out that Apple has replaced Skyhook with their own proprietary Wi-Fi positioning technology, starting as of last month.
Dear Aunt TUAW, I've recently become the proud owner of a 3rd generation iPod touch. I found the Nike+ app that uses some strange...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update
- Today in the App Store -- the best free apps, new apps and app updates