Beta Beat: Sparrow Gmail client for Mac
Sparrow is a free Gmail client for your Mac that was released yesterday and is still in beta. Unlike MailPlane, which largely simulates the Gmail experience plus some powerful additions, the Sparrow client is designed to be minimalist.
As John Gruber (Daring Fireball) points out, the design for this Gmail client seems to be inspired by Tweetie for Mac. The developers Dinh Viêt Hoà and Dominique Leca ignore the traditional email client stereotype and aim for simplicity in a way that is rather inspired. Sparrow has "just your mail, and nothing else."
Sparrow currently supports message threading as well as using multiple accounts. In the future, you will be able to use other IMAP email accounts (such as MobileMe) as well as gain the ability to use Gmail labels. It is free and available now, so check out the beta and let us know your thoughts.
[via Daring Fireball]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs