limera1n jailbreak released, greenpois0n jailbreak delayed
The previously announced dev-team jailbreak, which was due out tomorrow, may be put on hold while the team works on revising their tools for the limera1n exploit rather than exposing multiple exploits that will quickly be patched.
Jailbreaking, while legal, is based on finding system weaknesses to allow hobbyists to inject code that will open their devices to full system read-write access. It is this full access that allows third party developers to customize the OS and install new applications and extensions.
Having looked forward to developing for Apple TV starting tomorrow, count me among the disappointed.
Update: The Limera1n page has updated to indicate that Apple TV jb is "technically supported". I can confirm that I put my ATV2 into DFU mode and was able to "jailbreak" it. But since no AFC services or OpenSSH were installed (let alone APT), there's nothing that really can be done with it at this time.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync