Apple: Mac sales could sustain a Fortune 500 company by itself
One in five PCs sold in the United States is a Mac, making up 20.67% of U.S. consumer market share, and bringing in triple the amount of money the Mac has earned since fiscal year 2005.
That's the amazing number that Tim Cook, Apple's COO, shared at the beginning of today's "Back to the Mac" conference. Other awesome numbers?
- Year-over-year growth is 27% for the Mac compared to 11% for the PC
- There are 600,000 Mac developers
- 33% of Apple's revenue comes from the Mac. That's enough to fund a Fortune 500 company on its own, and would rank 110th on the list (though it was made clear Apple has no plans to spin the Mac off)
- More than 75 million people have visited an Apple Store within the last business quarter
- The stores in China have the highest traffic of any Apple Store, signifying lots of potential in that company
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV