Tango links your iOS devices for remote music control
The Tango Remote Music Player performs a neat trick and does it for free: it links any two iOS devices on a wireless network, allowing one to be a music source and the other to be a remote control.
To get going, Tango needs to be on both devices. One device is set to play its on-board music; the other device serves as the remote. In my case, I used my iPhone as a music source while it was plugged into some external speakers. My iPad discovered the iPhone, and I saw playlists, albums, and tracks. I could play anything I wanted from the iPad. Of course it also works the other way, and you can have an iPod touch substituting for the iPad or iPhone.
The only issue I had was that the two devices could not link if Bluetooth was activated. There is an on-screen note about this, so if Tango's not working, Bluetooth is the first thing you should check. Hopefully this isn't permanent -- I'd like to see the developers add Bluetooth linking between iOS devices, rather than requiring Wi-Fi. (Note: The developers says you can link with Bluetooth, something I didn't try. you just can't have WiFi and BT on at the same time and have the WiFi work.)
Tango may be a bit of a niche product because it solves a problem that only a few people might have, but it works well and does the job at no cost. Assuming you have multiple iOS devices, I would definitely give this app a go. It has some built-in help and doesn't require deep thought to get it up and running. Check the gallery to see what it looks like running on an iPhone.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features