TUAW review and giveaway: Just Mobile AluPen stylus
When it comes to the iOS experience, many purists insist that the finger is the only proper interface device on the iPad, iPod touch and iPhone, eschewing styluses as an anachronistic journey back to the days of the original PalmPilot. But for those who need to sign documents or draw detailed diagrams on iOS devices, a stylus might provide a much more natural writing experience than using a finger.
Up to this point, most styluses have been thin, stick-like probes like the Pogo Stylus. Now comes a nice lightweight and easily held stylus from Just Mobile: the AluPen. In some testing over the past couple of days, I've come to really like the way the AluPen works with an iPad or iPhone. The dimensions of the AluPen are much more like those of a real pen -- it's about 4.7" long x 0.5" wide and made with a hexagonal exterior that's very comfortable to hold.
I like the Pogo Stylus; in fact, I own two of them. However, I can easily see myself becoming unfaithful to the Pogo. The AluPen just feels and acts a lot more like a real writing implement. The tip of the AluPen is a rounded rubberized material that is much more rigid than the capacitive foam material used on the Pogo. The Pogo's tip seems to flop around, and I've felt like it's going to tear off, although it never has. You don't feel that with the AluPen; the feeling is much more like writing with a real pen. Click the Read More link for additional details and info about a giveaway.
You'll pay a bit extra for the quality, though. The AluPen sells for US$24.95, a full $10 more than the Pogo. I highly recommend not buying an AluPen directly from Just Mobile, as the shipping costs to the US are ridiculous. Fortunately, Just Mobile distributes the AluPen through a number of online and "brick and mortar" retailers, so you can bypass the onerous shipping charges.
For some lucky TUAW reader, however, the cost of an AluPen is going to be free. We're giving one away. To enter the giveaway, just leave a comment telling us what iPhone or iPad app you'll most likely use with your AluPen. We'll pick one random winner from the entries.
Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, leave a comment telling us what iPhone or iPad app you'll most likely use with your AluPen.
- The comment must be left before midnight on Friday, December 10, 2010, 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a Just Mobile AluPen valued at $24.95.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)