Grantwood Technology MacVelope for MacBook Air: Review and giveaway
I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- being a TUAW blogger is dangerous in that I see way too much cool stuff that I end up wanting to purchase. The Grantwood Technology MacVelope for MacBook Air is precisely what I'm talking about. Fortunately, these fun interoffice envelope lookalike sleeves have a nice light price tag of US$21.99 (sale price, they're usually $29.99), so I'll be able to spend my January paycheck on it (just kidding).
The MacVelope is a play on what Steve Jobs did at the introduction of the original MacBook Air at Macworld Expo 2008 -- he fished it out of a manila envelope before waving it at the crowd. The MacVelopes come in two flavors, one for the 11" Air and another for the "big" 13" model. Both are made of a yellow vinyl material that's actually a bit more yellow than most manila envelopes I've ever seen, with a velcro closure and a fun red string closure that adds to the illusion. The inside is lined with a soft ballistic nylon that makes sliding the MacBook Air into and out of the case a breeze.
One commenter in Grantwood's online store noted that "the best part is the look on people's faces when a computer comes out of such a small envelope," while another said "it offers a BIT of protection-from-theft in that most casual observers wouldn't assume it contains a laptop." The company also offers a companion bag for $10 that the MacVelope snugs into, but I think I'd just carry my Air in the MacVelope. Click Read More to learn how to enter our giveaway.
One quick hint -- in my testing, the red string for the closure almost immediately pulled off. I fixed it tying it back on with a strong knot so it will stay put, and I suggest that the winner of the 13" MacVelope do the same to avoid losing the string.
Now for the giveaway. We have both an 11" and a 13" MacVelope that we're giving away to some lucky TUAW readers. Here are the specifics:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, leave a comment telling us which size -- 11" or 13" -- MacVelope you'd prefer.
- The comment must be left before January 11, 2011 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Two winners will be selected. One will receive a Grantwood Technology MacVelope for MacBook Air in the 11" size, while the other winner receives a 13" MacVelope. Both prizes are valued at $29.99 each.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Pandora Radio 5.1: Wake up to your favorite station
- Microsoft revamps Bing for iPad
- Plex updated for iOS 7
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support