Akai SynthStation49 full-size iPad dock/keyboard combo
While it's not the kind of iPhone or iPad dock you would bring with you on your next cross-country plane ride, the Akai SynthStation49 dock offers up something a standard iPad dock doesn't -- a 49-key, velocity-sensitive keyboard controller complete with drum pads and manual pitch control. As reported by Engadget, the SynthStation iPad dock/keyboard combo is a far cry from the original SynthStation, which was much smaller and designed for the iPhone. What this new, bigger version lacks in portability it makes up for in features, with direct in-app MIDI recording, 1/4″ output jacks, full transport buttons and the ability to be used as a traditional USB MIDI controller if you happen to find yourself without your iPad. It's also iOS CoreMIDI compatible, meaning it can be used with a bunch of music apps that are already available in Apple's App Store.
The Akai SynthStation49 isn't available for purchase yet as it is still pending certification from Apple, so we don't even know what its price point will be. While we have seen a ton of different synthesizer software for iOS devices, this one throws in the keyboard and dock MIDI controller as well, making it a kind of "all-in-one" package for musicians everywhere, if not entirely mobile.
[via Engadget and Create Digital Music]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free