Ask TUAW Video Edition: Time Machine over a network
This week, Jude writes in and asks about using a home theater Mac mini as a Time Machine location for his MacBook Pro. We show him how to do this with some tweaking to his MacBook Pro.
In the video, we used this code to put into Terminal.app:
sudo defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
Remember, you can leave us questions in the comments! The video is on the next page.
Update: The terminal command is if you are using machines that are pre-10.5.6. If you have machines that are 10.5.6 or later you can just connect via Apple File Share and not need the terminal command. If you are trying to backup to a device that isn't running Mac OS X (such as a NAS) then you will need the terminal command.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration