So what works with FaceTime?
Apple comes to the rescue with a KnowledgeBase posting that will give you all the details on what systems are capable of using FaceTime. As you may know, FaceTime HD is a new feature of the just released MacBook Pro line, and Apple has taken FaceTime for the rest of us out of beta and made it a US $0.99 app.
While the HD feature of FaceTime is built into the just-released laptops because of an updated higher resolution camera, it doesn't mean those with older equipment are out of the game. Apple says you need Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or above to send a standard definition call. Many, but not all older Macs can view a call in HD, but Apple says it requires a minimum download bandwidth of 1 Mbps.
Check out the specifics after the break.[via The Mac Observer]
There are the Macs that can receive an HD call:
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)
- MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
- MacBook (13-inch, Early 2008), or newer, with a 2.4 GHz or better processor
- MacBook Pro (15-inch and 17-inch, Early 2008), or newer, with a 2.4 GHz or better processor
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010), or newer, with a 2.53 GHz or better processor
- iMac (20-inch and 24-inch, Early 2008), or newer, with a 2.4 GHz or better processor
- iMac (21.5-inch and 27-inch, Late 2009), or newer, with a 3.06 GHz or better processor
- Mac Pro (all models), with a compatible video camera Mac mini (Early 2009) or newer, with a 2.26 GHz or better processor and a compatible video camera
If you don't have the equipment on that list, it's SD both ways, and of course all these Macs can do video chats with an iPhone 4.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs