Video: Replicate Smart Cover sleep mode with a simple magnet
If you're looking for that awesome Smart Cover functionality but don't want to spend forty bucks on a case for your new iPad, it's really simple to add a low-power magnet that will trigger the Smart Cover functionality.
All you need is a small strip of flexible craft magnet, available at any local hobby shop, placed at the right position on your iPad. Although the actual trigger point is only about a half inch across, using a strip about two inches long helps guarantee the lock/unlock functionality without having to worry about making precise contact.
Of course, it's up to you to add the magnet to an actual case, but that's nothing that a little mailing envelope and duct tape ingenuity can't mock up in a few minutes.
You can watch a video demonstration after the break.
TUAW reminds you that magnets plus electronic equipment normally do not mix. Use this how-to at your own risk.
Here's a demonstration of the basic magnet action
And here's how the magnet works in an use case
If you're looking for that awesome Smart Cover functionality but don't want to spend forty bucks on a case for your new iPad, it's really...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free