Video: Replicate Smart Cover sleep mode with a simple magnet
If you're looking for that awesome Smart Cover functionality but don't want to spend forty bucks on a case for your new iPad, it's really simple to add a low-power magnet that will trigger the Smart Cover functionality.
All you need is a small strip of flexible craft magnet, available at any local hobby shop, placed at the right position on your iPad. Although the actual trigger point is only about a half inch across, using a strip about two inches long helps guarantee the lock/unlock functionality without having to worry about making precise contact.
Of course, it's up to you to add the magnet to an actual case, but that's nothing that a little mailing envelope and duct tape ingenuity can't mock up in a few minutes.
You can watch a video demonstration after the break.
TUAW reminds you that magnets plus electronic equipment normally do not mix. Use this how-to at your own risk.
Here's a demonstration of the basic magnet action
And here's how the magnet works in an use case
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)