Dear Aunt TUAW: Can I use my iPhone 4 videos in the iPad 2's iMovie app?
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I just bought the awesome iMovie for my new iPad 2. Now I want to be able to import videos that I captured on my iPhone 4 into iMovie on the iPad and edit them there.
How can I do this?
Your niece Nixie
I'm afraid I have both good and bad news for you, so let's start with the bad and move onto the good: you cannot import video directly into iMovie from your iPhone 4.
Although you can hook up the $29 Camera Connection Kit and transfer that data over, you'll have to use the standard connection software and import your video into your central iPad photos and video library first.
Only then will you be able to access those assets from iMovie and edit them.
This may be a feature that Apple adds to future versions of iMovie and iOS (leave your suggestion for Apple), but at this time, applications cannot access data via the connection kit.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options