Dear Aunt TUAW: Can I use my iPhone 4 videos in the iPad 2's iMovie app?
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I just bought the awesome iMovie for my new iPad 2. Now I want to be able to import videos that I captured on my iPhone 4 into iMovie on the iPad and edit them there.
How can I do this?
Your niece Nixie
I'm afraid I have both good and bad news for you, so let's start with the bad and move onto the good: you cannot import video directly into iMovie from your iPhone 4.
Although you can hook up the $29 Camera Connection Kit and transfer that data over, you'll have to use the standard connection software and import your video into your central iPad photos and video library first.
Only then will you be able to access those assets from iMovie and edit them.
This may be a feature that Apple adds to future versions of iMovie and iOS (leave your suggestion for Apple), but at this time, applications cannot access data via the connection kit.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app