Dear Aunt TUAW: Can I use my iPhone 4 videos in the iPad 2's iMovie app?
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I just bought the awesome iMovie for my new iPad 2. Now I want to be able to import videos that I captured on my iPhone 4 into iMovie on the iPad and edit them there.
How can I do this?
Your niece Nixie
I'm afraid I have both good and bad news for you, so let's start with the bad and move onto the good: you cannot import video directly into iMovie from your iPhone 4.
Although you can hook up the $29 Camera Connection Kit and transfer that data over, you'll have to use the standard connection software and import your video into your central iPad photos and video library first.
Only then will you be able to access those assets from iMovie and edit them.
This may be a feature that Apple adds to future versions of iMovie and iOS (leave your suggestion for Apple), but at this time, applications cannot access data via the connection kit.
Dear Aunt TUAW, I just bought the awesome iMovie for my new iPad 2. Now I want to be able to import videos that I captured on my iPhone...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs