TUAW's Daily App: Dungeons & Such
Dungeons & Such is exactly what it sounds like. It's a very nostalgic homemade RPG game for iOS that will have you looking back fondly on the days of Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy on the NES. Sure, by modern standards, the graphics are a little lame -- this definitely isn't Infinity Blade we're talking about. Most of the game is in menus, and most of the art is static 2D pictures rather than brilliant 3D environments. But the game runs smoothly, the action is varied enough to stay interesting, and if you're a fan of old-school dungeon crawling, you'll probably find yourself right at home.
There's quite a bit under the surface, too -- you've got full Game Center integration, in-game guilds to join, and you can even "hire" your friends to play with them asynchronously as you dive into dungeons. The game's being updated, too, with bug fixes, new items to find and other suggestions straight from users.
Dungeons & Such is US$2.99 on the App Store right now, or there's a lite version to check out for free if you'd like to do that. It's not completely polished (as I understand it, the whole game is basically the product of one guy's hard work), but if you're interested in an old-school RPG experience, it won't let you down.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs