Earth Day 2011 giveaway from TUAW
It's Earth Day. For 41 years, April 22nd has been a day to raise the awareness of people worldwide about the impact that they have on our planet. Our very own Megan Lavey-Heaton just provided a look at an eco-friendly laptop bag from Plaid Doctrine, and we review a surprising number of products that are made with thoughtful consideration for environmental consequences.
Here at TUAW, we've partnered with a group of Apple accessory manufacturers to give away products that are either made of recycled or natural materials, or that can be used to enhance your enjoyment of the great outdoors.
Continue reading this post on the next page to see these great products and for more details on how to enter the giveaway.
Here's what we have in store for the winners of the giveaway, which will run through Sunday night:
The Booq Booqpad (US$49.95)
This beautiful case, made of 100% recycled PET plastic (the material used to make water bottles), also features a traditional paper notepad for those times when you want to capture something non-digitally. The notepad is made from at least 30% post consumer materials and printed with soy ink.
HandStand for iPad and iPad 2 ($49.95)
Need to hold your iPad or iPad 2 in your hand for stand-up work? The HandStand is a rotating iPad case that protects your device while keeping it at your fingertips. Even better, it's made from 100% recycled plastic and resin.
PowerSkin battery case for iPhone 4 ($49.99)
The battery and internal components in this impact-resistant case aren't made of recycled materials, but the rest of the case is. The PowerSkin battery case can double your talk time on your shiny iPhone 4.
Scosche solBAT II ($29.99)
Looking for a renewable source of energy for your iPhone or iPod? Schosche has provided the solBAT II, a solar-powered backup battery and charging device. It comes with suction cups so that you can attach it to your window to pick up those rays.
Toddy Gear Toddy Smart Cloth ($12.99 for a 5" x 7" cloth)
Sometimes you need to think about how the environment is affecting you. The screen on your iPad or iPhone can pick up all sorts of microbes, mildew, mold and other creepy-crawlies. The Toddy Gear Toddy Smart Cloth is a smart-looking cloth made to clean those surfaces. It has a plush microfiber material on one side for cleaning, with a silk microfiber on the other side for buffing and polishing. The great thing? The Toddy Smart Cloth is protected with AEGIS Microbe Shield, so it won't contribute to helping grow lab samples on your screen.
Grace Digital Audio Eco Extreme ($49.99)
The Eco Extreme is a floatable water and dirt resistant speaker case for your iPhone or iPod, perfect for taking your tunes with you when you're out in the great wide open (of course, that will contribute to noise pollution, so be considerate to others). It keeps your device safe from sand, sun and water, and it comes with a detachable carabiner for clipping to your bike or backpack.
Now on to the details for the giveaway. Six winners will be chosen at random from the entries made between now and Sunday night.
Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, leave a comment telling us one thing you're doing to celebrate Earth Day this year.
- The comment must be left before Sunday, April 24, 2011 11:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Six winners will be selected, and each winner will receive one of the items listed in this post. Item values are as noted in the descriptions.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
It's Earth Day. For 41 years, April 22nd has been a day to raise the awareness of people worldwide about the impact that they have on our...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs