Dear Aunt TUAW: Help fix my failed install
Dear Aunt TUAW,
Help! I can't install anything after my Xcode install failed. Every time I try, Installer tells me that it's waiting for other installations to complete and then it just sits there forever.
What can I do? I've tried rebooting, I've tried killing the installer daemon. I'm at my wits end.
Please save me, Auntie!
It's okay. Deep breaths. Nothing to panic about. Fixing a failed install is actually pretty easy, so long as you don't mind waiting for a full system reboot. Here's what you do.
First, hop into Terminal and change directories over to /private/var/db/mds/system. Then remove the mds.install.lock file (you'll need to sudo rm, so be prepared to authenticate as root). Finally, reboot your system (sudo reboot).
You should be good to go.
Dear Aunt TUAW, Help! I can't install anything after my Xcode install failed. Every time I try, Installer tells me that it's waiting...
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Poser 10 and Poser Pro 2014 available, bringing new characters, physics and more
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Google announces new Hangout app to hit iOS today
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time