Dear Aunt TUAW: Help fix my failed install
Dear Aunt TUAW,
Help! I can't install anything after my Xcode install failed. Every time I try, Installer tells me that it's waiting for other installations to complete and then it just sits there forever.
What can I do? I've tried rebooting, I've tried killing the installer daemon. I'm at my wits end.
Please save me, Auntie!
It's okay. Deep breaths. Nothing to panic about. Fixing a failed install is actually pretty easy, so long as you don't mind waiting for a full system reboot. Here's what you do.
First, hop into Terminal and change directories over to /private/var/db/mds/system. Then remove the mds.install.lock file (you'll need to sudo rm, so be prepared to authenticate as root). Finally, reboot your system (sudo reboot).
You should be good to go.
Dear Aunt TUAW, Help! I can't install anything after my Xcode install failed. Every time I try, Installer tells me that it's waiting...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Google Drive iOS app finally lets you sort items and find and replace in documents
- Viber announces Viber Out calls for iOS, goes head to head with Skype
- Amazon Cloud Drive Photos gains video, iPad support
- Pandora Radio 5.1: Wake up to your favorite station
- Microsoft revamps Bing for iPad
- Plex updated for iOS 7