Dear Aunt TUAW: Help convert my iDevice into a graphics tablet
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I am looking for an iPad app that allows it to function as a graphics tablet, similar to something like a Wacom tablet. I have not found anything; are you aware of something that would fill this need?
Your loving nephew,
As Auntie recently told another nephew, when it comes to the iPad, it's simply not a very good graphics tablet option. The iPad doesn't provide pinpoint entry, even with third-party styluses.
It doesn't handle pressure, sensitivity and angle detection. That's not saying that people don't create art on the iPad, they do -- it's just not up to Wacom standards.
There are any number of third-party apps that allow you to use your iPad as an external touch entry controller for your Mac or Windows PC computer, but these won't replace a Wacom -- at least any time soon.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options