Dear Aunt TUAW: Excel pooped on my desktop
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I just started using Lion and for the first time loaded up Excel today. Much to my surprise, I ended up with a whole bunch of Excel temporary files on the desktop (see the attached screen shot)
So I go ahead and try to delete them and I can't. Lion won't let me. It puts up this message.
And then I try deleting them from the command and they aren't in my Desktop folder!!! I mean, WTF, Auntie. What are these files and why can't I delete them?
Your loving nephew,
Alas, Auntie has run across these Excel droppings as well in her work and sympathizes. There is a quick solution, however. You just need to restart Finder.
Auntie sees that you're comfortable at the command line, so just use a simple killall Finder. Finder will restart and that nasty detritus will be whisked off from your Desktop.
For those of you who don't have a "Snuggie" level of comfort with Terminal, Auntie has another suggestion. Choose Apple menu > Force Quit, and then highlight Finder in the list of open applications. The "Force Quit" button magically changes to a "Relaunch" button that will also shovel the Excel dung out of the Mac desktop stable.
Dear Aunt TUAW, I just started using Lion and for the first time loaded up Excel today. Much to my surprise, I ended up with a whole...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free