Dear Aunt TUAW: Excel pooped on my desktop
Dear Aunt TUAW,
I just started using Lion and for the first time loaded up Excel today. Much to my surprise, I ended up with a whole bunch of Excel temporary files on the desktop (see the attached screen shot)
So I go ahead and try to delete them and I can't. Lion won't let me. It puts up this message.
And then I try deleting them from the command and they aren't in my Desktop folder!!! I mean, WTF, Auntie. What are these files and why can't I delete them?
Your loving nephew,
Alas, Auntie has run across these Excel droppings as well in her work and sympathizes. There is a quick solution, however. You just need to restart Finder.
Auntie sees that you're comfortable at the command line, so just use a simple killall Finder. Finder will restart and that nasty detritus will be whisked off from your Desktop.
For those of you who don't have a "Snuggie" level of comfort with Terminal, Auntie has another suggestion. Choose Apple menu > Force Quit, and then highlight Finder in the list of open applications. The "Force Quit" button magically changes to a "Relaunch" button that will also shovel the Excel dung out of the Mac desktop stable.
Dear Aunt TUAW, I just started using Lion and for the first time loaded up Excel today. Much to my surprise, I ended up with a whole...
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Poser 10 and Poser Pro 2014 available, bringing new characters, physics and more
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Google announces new Hangout app to hit iOS today
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time