Iomega Mac Companion Hard Drive: Big storage, high-powered charging ports
Iomega has just introduced the new Mac Companion Hard Drive, a 2 or 3 TB external drive that not only offers a lot of storage in a nice-looking container, but also provides a high-powered USB port to charge up your iPad.
The Mac Companion is priced a bit higher than high-capacity USB external drives, with the 2 TB model weighing in at US$195.00 and the 3 TB model at $295.00. However, the manufacturer's suggested retail price is right in line with many other FireWire 800 drives, and the Mac Companion can connect through FireWire 800 as well as USB 2.0.
The Mac Companion also fills the job of a hub. It not only has a 2.1 Amp USB charging port for your iPad, but two more USB ports in a built-in hub and two FireWire 800 ports. Iomega provides cables to get your Mac and the Mac Companion working together off the bat -- one FireWire 800 cable, one conversion FireWire 400-800 cable, and one USB 2.0 cable.
When placed near just about any modern Mac, the Mac Companion fits right in. The aluminum case has four LEDs on the front to let you know how much free space you have left on the drive. Iomega provides software to enable scheduled file-level backups, although most Mac users will want to use the Mac Companion with Time Machine. Iomega also provides a free 2 GB online backup through MozyHome for extra assurance.
TUAW is hoping to get one of the Mac Companion Hard Drives for a full review, so stay tuned for more details.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync