Apple to add seamless glass to 5th Ave Apple Store
New York City's 5th Avenue Apple Store has become a tourist destination in its own right. Apple recently launched a major renovation project on its iconic glass cube, and now the purpose has been revealed. Apple will rebuild the structure with seamless panes of glass.
MacRumors has posted in image of the construction barriers surrounding the 5th Ave. store, which bear clues as to how the refurbished location will look. Specifically, a quote reads, "We're simplifying the Fifth Avenue cube. By using larger, seamless pieces of glass, we're using just 15 panes instead of 90." That's accompanied by a rough illustration of the iconic cube with its next iteration.
To say that Apple uses glass in their retail design is like saying Boeing dabbles in aeronautics. The store in Shanghai, China boasts the largest curved glass panels in the world, while the massive curved staircase in Boston is similar to those seen in many Apple Stores.
When complete, 5th Ave's glass box will be even more impressive than it has been, and offer tourist and New Yorkers alike a whole new reason to stop by, take a picture and just maybe, buy something.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter