Mac sales climb after launch of OS X Lion and new MacBook Airs
Apple's current quarterly earnings should receive a nice boost from brisk sales of Mac hardware says analysts. This summer increase can be attributed to the July introduction of OS X Lion and new MacBook Air and Mac mini models.
The latest NPD report suggests Mac sales may climb 26% year over year, which is six times the growth of the overall PC market. Barclays analyst Ben Reitzes is a bit more conservative with his estimate of 18% year-over-year growth for Mac sales. And, lastly, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster is similarly optimistic about Mac sales. Munster believes enthusiasm for the new hardware and software will help Apple ship 4.5 million Macs this quarter.
Based on these estimates, it'll be a good year for the Mac. Mac sales will continue to grow and Apple will gain market share in the PC industry. These glowing figures are a refreshing change from the rest of the PC industry which is slumping.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter