Autodesk Motion FX for OS X Lion arrives on the Mac App Store
Autodesk, developers of the amazing AutoCAD and Sketchbook apps for the Mac, has just released a new free app that is not only a lot of fun, but could be useful to amateur filmmakers. Motion FX for OS X Lion is a 25.1 MB app that requires Lion and creates "stunning real-time video effects using your computer's camera."
The app is powered by the brains of the Autodesk Maya software, applying real-time fluid dynamics technology to create effects that react in real-time to movements. There are five modes available -- motion detect, which streams the effects from motion detected by the camera; face detect, which emits effects from visible faces in the camera's field of view; color detect, which blasts effects from only specific colors on the screen; effect paint, which lets users "draw" the effects using a mouse or trackpad; and video warp, which warps video using a mouse or trackpad.
The app allows saving of screenshots with a tap of the spacebar, supports Lion's full-screen mode, and supports multiple cameras. Motion FX also supports multiple displays, which Autodesk touts as useful for VJs and performance artists who can use one display to control the app and another to project to an audience.
If the description above doesn't really explain to you what Motion FX does, then the video below will.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free