Taito is making its own iPad arcade cabinet
First ThinkGeek's iCade went from joke concept to real product, then Atari introduced its own iPad gaming controller. Now Taito, maker of legendary video game Space Invaders, is joining the fray with the InvaderCade. GameSetWatch reports the cabinet has only a single button and a ball-top joystick for controls, but the InvaderCade also serves as a charging dock with stereo speakers and a headphone jack.
The InvaderCade is coming to Japan on October 11 -- no word on a US release as of yet -- and its launch price in Japan will be around US$205. It'll be interesting to see if the InvaderCade actually catches on at that price and with single-game branding on the cabinet itself. The iCade costs less than half as much as the InvaderCade, while Atari's joystick accessory is cheaper still at $60. Both products feature more buttons and less specific branding than the InvaderCade, so Taito may have trouble justifying the product's higher price.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app